My Children have recently started going to Maitland Christian school. Being a Defence family we have had our children in a few schools throughout the years. We have found Maitland Christian School one of the best schools. The transition has been smooth and my children have felt so welcomed from our initial enquiry through to the smiles from the staff as they welcomed them. In addition the defence discount has helped financially.
I myself have felt like I have been welcomed in so many ways. As for education I haven’t been able to fault them. We are a new family to the school, but as a Defence family, we have felt like the new family many times! As soon as we started my younger son who has had a lot of learning difficulties at his other school was helped and encouraged. Thanks to MCS, he is a whole new confident boy. We have a long road to get his levels up, but between the prayer and support the staff have given him, we know he we will prosper at Maitland Christian school. – Jo and Daniel Cooke
Students of Defence
Students of Defence Families face a unique situation of having to often move schools due to the servitude of their parents in the Defence Force. At Maitland Christian School we value the contributions of all parents, but are especially grateful to the men and women who serve our nation through the Defence Force.
We provide a discount to Defence Families as we want to ensure that arriving at a new location is as smooth as possible for families moving interstate or within NSW, given the additional costs of doing so.
Our school has a dedicated Defence Support Officer, whose knowledge and experience helps families transition between schools and into new communities.
Some of the ways we support Defence families is by:
• Helping students and families settle into school and the local community
• Monitoring the social, emotional and academic wellbeing of ADF students
• Providing support to students in times of parental absence
• Helping students develop self-confidence and resilience
• Connecting families with services and community programs that meet their needs
• Organising support programs to assist with ADF children to cope with change.
• Organising social events such as morning teas and BBQ lunches for Defence Students to get to know one another.
• Helping the school commemorate special events such as ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day